Thursday, 7 February 2013

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time-Peer Review

   
   The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time takes an interesting perspective of a fifteen year old boy with autism. Ali and I both agree it's very original and we both love the way it's written. Ali calls the book "a window to his mind" and I have to agree one hundred percent with her. I disagree, though, that the book is an easy read and very gripping. There were times when you really had to concentrate or else you would get lost in the novel. There was extremely confusing math (for example pg. 81) and the train station (approximately pg. 184-236) was also confusing. As for the gripping part there were times when I could have easily put down the book and been content to never pick it up again. I also wish that there was more mystery to the book because I thought the whole story was going to be focusing more on who killed the dog but instead it was more about Christopher. Even though The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was a very interesting novel and I found it very eye opening, unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectations.
     One of the things I thought was very well done in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was the characterization. Christopher John Francis Boone (the main character) was very well developed. Ninety nine percent of the time you could understand what he was talking about and he brought up many points I had never really thought about but completely agree with. One of the things he mentioned was that if a dog had needles in his leg and saw a cat he would chase it even though he was injured. A human, on the other hand, if they had a broken leg they would not run to catch a bus because they had a picture in their mind of the bones crunching together and even more pain (pg. 150). I thought this was an excellent point and I had never really thought about it but I completely agree. I also found it interesting that the author never said for certain that Christopher had a disability but he provided subtle hints (for example pg. 57). The story takes place in England because Christopher talks quite a bit about London and the way he talks sometimes implies that he is isn't from Canada. I think the theme of this novel is learning to understand people with disabilities. The whole story is from the perspective of a boy with autism. I found it very fascinating to see the world through his eyes and to learn about the challenges he faces in everyday life. I think this book was an amazing look at the life of someone who isn't like a lot of other people in the world and though I didn't find it to be superb it was still a good read.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jami, It was really interesting how you don't agree with Ali. It was great because you went into depth when explaining your idea.
    Friends have recommended this novel to me, and you said this book was okay, so would you recommend it to me too? Is there a certain age group you would recommend this to or people who like certain genres?
    However, it was a nice change to hear some negatives in a review. Your review was written very nicely and I enjoyed reading it.
    Keep it up! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like it. It's not that it's a bad book it's just that it wasn't what I'd expected having heard about it from other people that it was really good. I definitely wouldn't recommend The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time to anyone under the age of thirteen but I think you would like it... Maybe? I'm glad you liked my review :)

      Delete
  2. Wow Jami, this book seems interesting. I might read this just based on your review. I love your blog, it really stands out. I really respect that you have made a song based on a book :) Very original and different from many other people. I really like the comparisons in this review about dogs and humans with injuries in the book. You provided evidence to back up your thoughts and I am looking forward to going further back in your blog and looking at more!

    ReplyDelete