Sunday, 12 May 2013

Individual Post-Narritive Structure

     I think the exposition in this particular novel was rather long however there was lots of little climaxes throughout it to help hold the reader's interest. Learning that he's a clone, going to prison, the death of Furball, etc. are examples of the mini climaxes placed throughout the exposition. The mini climaxes also lead up to the where the rising action begins because you can't say that the exposition was flat as expositions are sometimes shown on narrative maps. I think the rising action began when Matt learns that what his purpose is then when El Patron dies and Matt is sent off the adventure of his life. "Ah my mind was wandering. I love the way swallows turn just before they're about to crash into the ground. No. lad. You wouldn't be able to survive. It's better if you go to Aztlán." Aztlán! Matt's heart gave a bound." (Farmer 244). The majority of La Vida Nueva is rising action towards the climax however unlike the rising action in the exposition the rising action in La Vida Nueva is a lot faster and closer together. I was conflicted about the actual climax of the novel however after a lot of thought I think that the main climax of the novel (the point with the MOST action) was when Matt and Chacho escaped from the bone pit and then when Matt, Chacho, Fedilito, and Ton-Ton escaped. The falling action also had a couple mini climaxes including when Matt finally meets Esperanza (María's mother) and then getting back into the country of Opium are all examples of the mini climaxes in the falling action. I think the resolution of the novel would have been when Matt learns that everyone dies and then Matt becomes the new ruler of Opium. I've drawn a narrative map of what I've explained above to help you understand what I've been trying to explain.


No comments:

Post a Comment